Permanent, Full Time
Under the supervision of officials responsible for the coordination and accomplishment of plant housekeeping operations or under the direct supervision of employees in a higher classification, perform duties in accordance with established standards and instructions.
- Sweep, mop, scrub floors and stairs(inside and outside buildings) and other surfaces
- Use light and heavy (industrial type) floor machines and attachments
- Empty tenants' trash and garbage containers
- Scrub, strip, wax and polish floors using heavy (industrial type) powered scrubber and buffers
- Vacuum rugs in offices and public areas; shampoo rugs periodically using heavy vacuum cleaner and rug shampooing machine
- Clean and dust furniture, exhibit cases, pictures, door/window trim and chalkboards
- Clean and service lavatories, toilet rooms and rest rooms
- Collect and place trash and debris in containers or plastic bags; place trash in collection area for removal by sanitation truck
- Replace liners in wastebaskets and trash containers
- Report items that need repair (doors, door checks, furniture lights, faucets, etc.)
- Wash window sills, glass in corridor doors, glass in telephone booths/rooms
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
High school diploma or general education degree (GED), or one to three months related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos; ability to write simple correspondence; ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add and subtract two-digit numbers and to multiply and divide; ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions; ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, and talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
To apply for this position, send your resume and a letter of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Custodian/Housekeeping” in the subject line.
St. Stephen’s has a longstanding commitment to being an inclusive community. For the 2018-19 school year, students of color represent 34 percent of the Upper School student population (52 percent when including international students).
Equal access to employment, programs and services is available to all. With respect to its employment practices, St. Stephen’s Episcopal School does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation or identity.